[vlc-devel] Re: LIRC support on Mac OS X works.

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Feb 7 15:19:27 CET 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 03:04:35PM +0100, Matthias Ringwald wrote:
> HI
>
> some time ago I
> - ported Lirc to Mac OS X / Darwin
> - created a IR receiver that plugs into the sound input (where else...
> ? :)
> - wrote a LIRC driver for this sound card input
> (see http://www.inf.ethz.ch/~mringwal/lirc/  for more information)
> sound & mac os x support is in the lirc cvs and will be in the next
> lirc 0.7 release.
>
> I just tried compiling VLC for mac os x with lirc support.
> I wasn't too sucessfull compiling VLC correctly (can't handle some
> video formats, no audio...)
> but at least I could try the lirc interface.
> Yes, it works!
> So you could change the state of the "infrared support" to let's say
> CVS or so.
Very good work! I saw your site, and was wondering if you managed to build
vlc with lirc support on osx. I was thinking about sending a mail and
asking, but you got to me first. Instructions on how to build a full
featured vlc version on osx can be found here:
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/osx-compile.html

> And I couldn't find the lirc example config: (from the faq)
> "2.7.8. lirc
> default: disabled
> This interface module allows you to control VLC through a remote. A
> lircrc example is provided to help you configure it to your remote (see
> doc/lirc/example.lircrc)."
This file should be present in the source tree, if not it can be found here:
http://www.videolan.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/vlc/doc/lirc/example.lircrc?rev=1.2&content-type=text/plain
> But I found it in the vlc-dev archive as a patch from the lirc
> interface author.
>
> Besides the promising start, I got quite confused.
> When I select LIRC in the preferences as an interface, the
> normal GUI doesn't show up and I could only watch anything if I did
> select --vout x11
> is this on intention ?
> I would prefer to use an IR remote in addition to the normal GUI.
When you select the lirc interface as your default interface the normal gui
does not show up, and as the gui and video output on osx are rather
interlinked, the default video window should not work either. The solution
to this is to launch vlc with --extraintf=lirc or put lirc in the "extra
interface modules" field in the preferences window. Hope this can be useful
and that you have fun with vlc.

btw: if there are any other features you whould like to control with the
remote control, then feel free to ask. I whould be happy to help implement
them, I'm just out of ideas.

Sigmund