[vlc-devel] Re: VLC 0.5 Mac OS X issues

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Fri Feb 7 15:54:38 CET 2003

On donderdag, feb 6, 2003, at 20:01 Europe/Amsterdam, Pontus Ilbring
wrote:
> If you still need people to help you with the crashes under Mac OS X
> then I'm willing to help.
We think we fixed it. please try
http://sidekick.student.utwente.nl/videolan/vlc.app.sit
Tell us if it fixes your problem.

> Further, the Swedish localization is... well... bad. It displays the
> special characters åäö as black boxes instead. Several menu items are
> still in English. And finally, because vlc doesn't use the normal Mac
> OS way of localization there's no obvious way of turning it off and
> have the program use plain English.

VLC uses gettext for it's translations. This method of translating is
portable over multiple platforms. With this system we don't need to
create different translations for Windows, MacOS and Linux, but can use
one system for all three.

The black boxes are a known issue. We are trying to fix it.
You can open a Terminal and launch vlc like this to get it to use
English

setenv LANG en_US && /Applications/vlc.app/Contents/MacOS/vlc

You will get several messages in your terminal window, just ignore them
and hide the terminal window after vlc is launched.

DJ
---
Universiteit Twente
---