[vlc-devel] Re: How VLC deal with TS Packet Loss?

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Feb 12 01:06:30 CET 2003

À (At) 21:21 +0100 11/02/03, Jean-Paul Saman écrivait (wrote) :
>Junfeng Bai wrote:

>>I am using VLC to play back a MPEG-2 file. I intently deleted some Video
>>TS packets in the file (the video packets are from B frames) and played it
>>with VLC. I found that VLC dropped the whole frames with packet loss and
>>showed lots of discontinuity in play-back. While I used Media Play from
>>Microsoft, it can continuously play the file although with some error
>>blocks in the pictures.

In VLC when we lose a packet, we drop the whole frame. I decided it
because I find it less ugly than displaying a messed-up frame. If you
want to change this behavior it's quite easy : in
modules/codec/mpeg_video/blocks.c:2159, instead of exiting the loop
when b_error = 1, just reset it to 0.

--
Christophe Massiot.