[vlc-devel] Re: build VLC using VC++6.0 ?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue Feb 18 00:10:20 CET 2003

On Monday 17 February 2003 21:36, Junfeng Bai wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I try to build vlc-0.4.6 source files using VC++6.0. I found there are
> VC++ project files for VLC in VLC4.6 version under "extra/ win32_MSVC"
> folder. And I finally successful biult it but I got the error from "intf"
> when debugging.

I would first strongly advise you to try vlc 0.5.1 instead of the old 0.4.6
version.

As for the intfwin interface, it can't be compiled with VC++ because it has
been created with Borland Builder.
VLC 0.5.1 includes a basic interface designed with wxWindows
(www.wxwindows.org) that should be compilable with VC++ (although I doubt
it will be straight-forward).
You can also use the simpler "dummy" or "rc" interfaces.

> "VideoLAN Client - version 0.3.1_2002-05-03 Ourumov - (c) 1996-2002
VideoLAN

> intf error: no suitable intf module
> intf error: interface initialization failed
> "
>
> I think I didn't provide the proper "intfwin.so" files in "plugins" to
> vlc.exe .  But is it possible that I just use "command line" not the
> "interface" at this time (for example  "vlc video.mpg")?

You're right, the error comes from not having the intfwin interface.
You can however force vlc to use the "dummy" interface by using a command
line of the following form: "vlc -I dummy video.mpg" (use "vlc -h" or "vlc
-H" to obtain a list of the command line options).

> I try to use the "intfwin.so" coming with installable VLC application
> (version 0.4.6). But I got the same error from "intf".  After I made the
> following change, I could see the  "intfwin" interface, but the program
> just crashed there.

This won't work because the plugin entry points won't be the same for a
released version and a development version.

We almost always compile VLC with the gcc compiler, so you might be better
off using it if you want to do some serious developpment. VLC compiles
really well under the cygwin environment (www.cygwin.com) and the procedure
is described in the INSTALL.win32 file so you might want to have a look at
this.

Regards,

--
Gildas