[vlc-devel] Help needed for localizations !

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Tue Jan 7 00:53:03 CET 2003

Dear friends,

VLC 0.5.0 will support localizations on almost all platforms.
However, our localization files are _very_ outdated, here are the
statistics :

file=./`echo de | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
   && rm -f $file && /usr/local/bin/msgfmt --statistics -o $file de.po
281 translated messages, 126 fuzzy translations, 257 untranslated messages.
file=./`echo en_GB | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
   && rm -f $file && /usr/local/bin/msgfmt --statistics -o $file en_GB.po
20 translated messages, 1 fuzzy translation, 643 untranslated messages.
file=./`echo fr | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
   && rm -f $file && /usr/local/bin/msgfmt --statistics -o $file fr.po
394 translated messages, 42 fuzzy translations, 228 untranslated messages.
file=./`echo it | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
   && rm -f $file && /usr/local/bin/msgfmt --statistics -o $file it.po
139 translated messages, 9 fuzzy translations, 516 untranslated messages.
file=./`echo ja | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
   && rm -f $file && /usr/local/bin/msgfmt --statistics -o $file ja.po
104 translated messages, 106 fuzzy translations, 454 untranslated messages.
file=./`echo no | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
   && rm -f $file && /usr/local/bin/msgfmt --statistics -o $file no.po
114 translated messages, 144 fuzzy translations, 406 untranslated messages.
file=./`echo ru | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
   && rm -f $file && /usr/local/bin/msgfmt --statistics -o $file ru.po
29 translated messages, 45 fuzzy translations, 590 untranslated messages.
file=./`echo nl | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
   && rm -f $file && /usr/local/bin/msgfmt --statistics -o $file nl.po
202 translated messages, 140 fuzzy translations, 322 untranslated messages.
file=./`echo pl | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
   && rm -f $file && /usr/local/bin/msgfmt --statistics -o $file pl.po
372 translated messages, 134 fuzzy translations, 158 untranslated messages.
file=./`echo se | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
   && rm -f $file && /usr/local/bin/msgfmt --statistics -o $file se.po
70 translated messages, 30 fuzzy translations, 564 untranslated messages.

Therefore we need some help to complete the translations. I have set
up a package to make things easy. Just download this :
   http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/devtools/vlc-po-files.tar.gz

Instructions are in the README file. Please contact us in case of
trouble, or to send your .po file. Buttons and text areas may be too
narrow for localized text, please yell at us if we need to enlarge
some of them.

If you are working on a translation, please say so in the vlc-devel
mailing-list. It would be bad to duplicate efforts for the same
language...

Note for Mac OS X users
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We do not use Apple's localization scheme (English.lproj and stuff).
The main reason is that we want our localizations to be portable, so
that the interface remains consistent between platforms, and to avoid
duplicating efforts. So we chose to use GNU gettext, a portable
library to achieve transparent localization of applications. GNU
gettext is not installed by default under Mac OS X, so I have set up
a binary package :
   http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/devtools/gettext-macosx.tar.gz

This package must be extracted in the vlc-po-files/ folder.

Thanks for your help !

For the VLC team,

--
Christophe Massiot.