[vlc-devel] [RFC] E-learning with VideoLAN

Alexis de Lattre alexis at via.ecp.fr
Tue Jan 7 01:29:40 CET 2003

Dear VideoLAN developers,

Damien Lucas (i.e. nitrox) and I are starting a new project inside
VideoLAN. The idea of this project is to add an e-learning capability to
VideoLAN. As most of the lessons in schools or companies are now given
with a teacher speaking on PowerPoint or OpenOffice slides, we would
like to be able to reproduce this with vlc.

For that, we would need to be able to do live and on-demand streaming of
a multiplexed stream containing the slides, the video and the voice of
the teacher.

I have put our ideas in a RFC document available here :

[PDF format] : http://www.via.ecp.fr/~alexis/rapport-dla.pdf
[PS  format] : http://www.via.ecp.fr/~alexis/rapport-dla.ps

In this document, I talk about the different possible formats and the
different possible solutions to technical issues. In the conclusion, we
talk about our present technical preferences, but we would like to have
the opinion of all the VideoLAN developers interested in the technical
specifications of this solution. To start, we would use this mailing-list
for the discussions, and then move to another mailing-list if the project
thinks it would be more appropriate. All the VideoLAN developers are
welcomed to help on the developement of this new project.

Please note that this project is also for us an official project of the
Ecole Centrale Paris supervised by one of our teacher. Our deadline for
the first working version of the solution is mid-march 2003.

--
Alexis de Lattre