[vlc-devel] Re: [RFC] E-learning with VideoLAN

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Wed Jan 8 02:10:27 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:29:40AM +0100, Alexis de Lattre wrote:
> Damien Lucas (i.e. nitrox) and I are starting a new project inside
> VideoLAN. The idea of this project is to add an e-learning capability to
> VideoLAN. As most of the lessons in schools or companies are now given
> with a teacher speaking on PowerPoint or OpenOffice slides, we would
> like to be able to reproduce this with vlc.
>
> For that, we would need to be able to do live and on-demand streaming of
> a multiplexed stream containing the slides, the video and the voice of
> the teacher.
Hi

I have a few ideas concerning this project, I thought you might be
interested.

.) I agree with you that the "presentation-viewer-local" method is probably
the best. By I kind of dislike the idea of such a system being built around
two proprietary file formats, namely PowerPoint and OpenOffice. That's why I
suggest SVG as the presentation format. But of course I don't know
if either PowerPoint or OpenOffice support an export to SVG...

.) It might be quite important for understanding a lesson not only to see
the slides, but to also see where the lector is pointing to while he is
talking. If he uses a stick, or laserpointer this is nearly impossible, but
if he uses a mouse, then some event-recording should do the trick. There
again SVG would be a nice presentation format, because one could modify a
SVG-Viewer to record the events. If different presentations are in different
formats, than more than one viewer has to be modified. If IE or Mozilla is
used as SVG viewer, than recording the events should come down to a little
bit of javascript magic.

Well, thats all that I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps...

greetings, Florian Pflug