[vlc-devel] Re: Mac OS X interface

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Fri Jan 10 22:03:35 CET 2003

On vrijdag, jan 10, 2003, at 21:42 Europe/Amsterdam, David Weber wrote:
> On Freitag, Januar 10, 2003, at 08:51  Uhr, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
>>> i also wanted to have a big round play button, but that is not
>>> possible the cocoa interface builder. in fact i was surprised how
>>> limited the possibilities are, that the interface builder offers.
>>
>> You clearly don't know your way around in Interfacebuilder. ;-) Which
>> is fine cause i don't know my way with Photoshop.
>> The way to do this is by creating a transparent square button and
>> then making the button, with its border and all, yourself. You create
>> a button as you like in photoshop and you use that image within the
>> button. This way you can theoretically built any button you want.
>
> yah - i have seen this option. but there is no way to assign two
> images (button up/down) to a transparent button? i think this
> functionality has to be programmed 'by hand'?

No, when you push any button, apple automatically applies a darkening
to a button which gives it a 'pushed' appearance.
The button settings should be : Bordered->No, Transparent->No,
Type->Rounded Bevel, Behaviour->Toggle

>>> <cut rant>
>>
>>> an other aspect in your comments affect the functionality of the
>>> interface.  these things have to be programed and i don't have the
>>> skills to do that (volume slider, toggle play-pause button, ...).
>>> now interface builder it's only possible to rearrange the existing
>>> elements. if the programers will build these features, i can
>>> integrate them in the existing interface.
>>
>> Well something as the volume slider you could easily add yourself. It
>> is quite a large element, so i think it needs careful positioning.
>> Others can then make it useable, but take it into account, cause it
>> is simply going to be there.
> i think christophe massiot said, that he wants to ad this feature and
> maybe a contrast slider too. but i dont know if i should build these
> elements now without functionality, because of soon 0.5 release?

You can build them anyway, and just keep it somewhere. Maybe it won't
directly be committed, but if not in 5.0 then it will be in the next
release i guess.

Thanx for the reply.

---
Universiteit Twente