[vlc-devel] Attempt to configure libdvdread fails with SUN studio7 cc

Lars Tunkrans lars.tunkrans at bredband.net
Thu Jan 16 23:31:26 CET 2003

Libdvdread configure script says  we must use GCC

Is this true ?   Why ?

$ cd libdvdread-0.9.3
$ echo $CFLAGS

$ CFLAGS=-xarch=v8plusa export CFLAGS
$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.9
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.9
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.9
checking for a BSD compatible install... /opt/sfw/bin/ginstall -c
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc
checking whether the C compiler (/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -xarch=v8plusa ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -xarch=v8plusa ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... no
checking whether /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
configure: error: You must use GCC to compile this code

Lars Tunkrans
ICL Distinguished Engineer,
SUN Certified Network Administrator
Microsoft MCP MCP+I MCSE MCSE+I