[vlc-devel] Re: Compilation for WinCE succesful

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Fri Jan 17 11:34:33 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003, Stephane wrote:

> I managed to compile the EVC workspace and a couple of the sub-projects for
> WinCE,
> and got it running on an i-Paq. Nice work indeed! I was able to play an Mpeg
> Program stream,
> containing mpeg1 video and audio. Compilation gave some minor issues in the
> conversion
> of 'byte-size' characters to Unicode characters. Not really a problem, but
> maybe the MYCHAR
> type should be used more as default for file access functions etc.

It's difficult since it's highly non-standard.

> Currently, we are trying to create some extra functionality based on VLC,
> involving our DRM
> solution. This involves the creation of an own demuxer, and a new User
> Interface for the
> Windows platform and the i-Paq, which we will try to demonstrate on the
> CEBITT in Hannover
> this spring.

This is great. I suppose that you already know that according to the GPL
license, your derived work must be placed under the GPL license too, and
thus open-sourced ? And you may only link with GPL-compatible libraries ?
(this is approximative, more info here :
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html)

> A port to the Mac and Linux/FreeBSD will follow after that. We
> will keep you
> people informed and of course invite you all to visit us in Hannover.

We already have versions for Mac OS X and Linux/FreeBSD, so I believe it
won't be too difficult.

--
Christophe Massiot.