[vlc-devel] Re: Compilation for WinCE succesful

Stephane stephane at virtuosomedia.nl
Fri Jan 17 12:04:05 CET 2003

Yes, it is. The codebase would get ugly with a lot more IFDEF's probably...

> > Currently, we are trying to create some extra functionality
> based on VLC,
> > involving our DRM
> > solution. This involves the creation of an own demuxer, and a new User
> > Interface for the
> > Windows platform and the i-Paq, which we will try to demonstrate on the
> > CEBITT in Hannover
> > this spring.
>
> This is great. I suppose that you already know that according to the GPL
> license, your derived work must be placed under the GPL license too, and
> thus open-sourced ? And you may only link with GPL-compatible libraries ?
> (this is approximative, more info here :
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html)
Yes, we are aware of this. This could become an issue, because we would like
keep the DRM part separate from the GPL, for obvious reasons. The call into
the DRM system may be open, even so that other parties can incorporate their
own DRM system, but the decryption and especially the processing of
subscription
data should remain more or less 'secret', at least it should not be possible
for another user of your software to use his/her own adapted copy to 'hack'
into DRM protected files.
Any suggestions on how to solve this issue (Lesser GPL?) would be welcome:)

> > A port to the Mac and Linux/FreeBSD will follow after that. We
> > will keep you
> > people informed and of course invite you all to visit us in Hannover.
>
> We already have versions for Mac OS X and Linux/FreeBSD, so I believe it
> won't be too difficult.
No, not the VLC part. And hopefully also not our DRM part ( :) ).

> --
> Christophe Massiot.
> --
Stephane van Hardeveld