[vlc-devel] Re: VLC ChangeLog

Sam Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Thu Jan 23 14:31:44 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003, Christophe Massiot wrote:

> 1. A CVS log (some people even instruct their CVS wrappers to update
> the ChangeLog automatically),
> 2. A features log ("new Preferences panel").
>
> My opinion is that option 1 is useless.

   I agree 1. is useless to our users. But the according to the GPL we
must keep prominent notice of what we change. The changelog we provide
with the sources should really depict changes done to the software; the
one we publish for our users should probably different and closer to
your 2.

> Additionally, if some freak (or developer, or both) wants to get all
> the small changes, cvs log is your friend (or the vlc-devel mailing-
> list).

   But neither are distributed with vlc.

> Therefore I think we should only keep relevant feature changes in our
> ChangeLog.
> [...]
> * New audio output architecture, allowing to:
> - choose the audio device and channel configuration at run-time,
> - support devices with more than two channels or with S/PDIF output,
> - do less aggressive resampling,
> [...]
> Mac OS X port:
> * Brand-new controller window, more intuitive,
> * New Preferences panel,
> * New "Close Window" menu item
>
> Any thoughts ?

   Yep: this is exactly what the NEWS file is supposed to contain.

--
Sam.