[vlc-devel] Re: Sorenson on macosx port

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Mon Jan 27 01:05:42 CET 2003

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 03:26:30PM +0100, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
> OK, i have been thinking about this for some time. Quicktime is a
> standard part of the OS. So we are bound to be able to integrate it
> into the OSX port of vlc. There are functions in the Quicktime
> framework for creating a QTMovie object from a file, telling it what
> window to use, start/stopping/seeking the file etc.
Why integrate QuickTime? vlc doesn't use directshow codecs on windows either
- or realplayer/xanim/... codecs on linux.

> There has to be a way we can hack the vlc core to tell it
>
> 1: if .mov on MacOSX platform.
> 2: then open with special 'input' or 'demux' ?
> 3: connect it to our video_window.
> 4: connect standard inputs functions to QT framework functions.
> 5: do nothing else ;-) (discard all the packet stuff).
>
> It would always remain a hack. simply because we will probably never be
> able to decode sorenson ourselves. But this way we might at least be
> able to play it under OSX. Unfortunately i understand too little about
> how the vlc core works (and C) to actually get this done. Is there
> someone with a lot more experience who could help me on this?
But if you use QuickTime, you don't need vlc at all. If you want to use the
vlc _interface_ to control quicktime, then just look at plugins/gui/macosx
(I think that the path in the cvs... but i'm not sure).

You just need that, and some simple playlist managing. The rest of the vlc
core is completely useless once you use quicktime for decoding.

You could create the directory plugins/gui/macosx/standalone, and put a
cocoa application there that uses the vlc .nib files, but quicktime instead
of the vlc core.

> Do ppl see any other possibilities to solve this problem?
Use the QuickTime player, or if it still can't do fullscreen output in the
free version, google for some quicktime frontend. ;-))))

Since you get the macosx developer cd with every copy of macosx,
the probability is high that someone coded something like that.

greetings, Florian Pflug