[vlc-devel] Re: Sorenson on macosx port

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Mon Jan 27 01:17:57 CET 2003

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 01:05:42AM +0100, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 03:26:30PM +0100, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
> > It would always remain a hack. simply because we will probably never be
> > able to decode sorenson ourselves. But this way we might at least be
> > able to play it under OSX. Unfortunately i understand too little about
> > how the vlc core works (and C) to actually get this done. Is there
> > someone with a lot more experience who could help me on this?

> You could create the directory plugins/gui/macosx/standalone, and put a
> cocoa application there that uses the vlc .nib files, but quicktime instead
> of the vlc core.

Sorry to reply to myself, but it shortly after submiting my first post, I
realized it's actually quite easy - altough I'm still not sure if it is feasable

You would just have to adapt the macosx interface plugin to do the following
on the opening of a file

.)Check if vlc can decode the file (by trying to open it using the vlc core)
.)If that didn't work out, create a NSMovieView instead of a NSQuickDrawView
  inside the output window, and tell it to open the file
.)If the second try fails too, then inform the user that the file can't be
  decoded.

I wouldn't involve changing the vlc core, just the macosx gui...

greetings, Florian Pflug