[vlc-devel] Re: launch time

Eric Petit titer at videolan.org
Wed Jan 29 22:44:25 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003, Stephan Assmus wrote:
> one major regression from the 0.4.x to the current tree is launch time.
> On my BeOS box, vlc-0.4.6 launches in about 0.5 secs. I compiled 0.5.0
> with about the same options, but the launch time increased to more than
> 6 seconds. This is of course absolutely unacceptable for a media player
> (or for any BeOS application). What could be causing this delay? The
> CPU is rather unimpressed during the launch, so I would guess it is
> disk activity. Could it be the reading of the config file or the
> plugins? But even with plugins linked into the executable it has this
> huge delay. How does 0.5.0 perform on other platforms (compared to
> 0.4.x)?

 I think it is related to the tree browsing. When you compiled vlc with
all modules built-in, did you try to put the binary alone in a separate
folder ? Because AFAIK it will scan sybdirectories anyway. Also, how
much time does it take to launch vlc in cleaned test-* packages ?
 Start-up time of vlc in a compiled tree is also a bit slow on linux as
well.

--
Eric Petit <titer at videolan.org>