[vlc-devel] Re: On the road to 0.5.0

Stephan Assmus stippi at yellowbites.com
Fri Jan 31 12:04:43 CET 2003

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003, Sam Hocevar wrote:
>
> >     - set CVS version to 0.5.0-test4,
> >
> >     - downgrade major bugs that are not so major, upgrade normal
> > bugs
> >       that are rather important,
> >     - fix all critical bugs,
> >     - fix all major bugs,
>
>    This has gone very well so far. The OS X guys have fixed almost
> every
> problem they had, gibalou fixed a lot of data corruption issues, and
> well
> pretty everyone did a great job. Only three bugs are marked "major",
> but
> two of them are old 0.4.x bugs that have probably disappeared. The
> third
> might be in libfaad2.
>
>    Can anyone think of bugs that are not in Bugzilla? Of normal bugs
> that should be major?
>
>    How well are the different ports? Can we release -test4 tomorrow?
> Or
> shall we immediately work to release -final ASAP?

I can only comment on the BeOS port. Currently, what the user sees
concerning progress:

positive:

	- we can play more file formats (mp3, mp4, ogg etc)

	- we have dvd menus -> not reliable, so only "half-there"

	- settings window (I haven't tried Erics recent commit with
                       "on the fly" changes of filters, currently,
                       it is confusing when and if settings actually
                       work)

	- snappier playback control thanks to aout3

	- message window (with tons of cryptic message only useful for
                      developers or maybe people wanting to report a
bug)

negative:

	- huge increase in launch time -> major regression

	- not so well tested as of yet

	- no improvements to playlist handling (before I finish+commit what
                                            I'm doing now)

I have a hard time being involved with vlc development, since my dev
machine has no access to the net. In my experience, I cannot keep a
tree up to date by simply invoking "cvs update". Most of the times, I
have to check out into a clean folder, or my tree will somehow be
broken (missing files added in the meantime or something else, I have
no idea). However, I have fixed quite a bunch of bugs and memory leaks
(in the BeOS port) additional to my work on the playlist handling.
That's why I would like to get a chance to commit my work before the
next release, but I'm going to do it all at once (since it's such a
hassle), when I have finished the playlist stuff.

Best regards,
-Stephan