[vlc-devel] Re: Some bugs

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Jul 9 01:10:39 CEST 2003

On Monday 07 July 2003 19:35, Hans-Peter Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
> a couple of months ago I reported several bugs to this mailing list
> without getting any reply. Since the bugs are still present in the new
> version I'm trying again. All these bugs refer to DVD playing on Linux.
>
> 1) This bug is new in version 0.6.0:
> With the DVD "hana-bi" from Momentum Pictures the subtitles don't
> disappear until another subtitle replaces the previous one.

These subtitles are likely what's called ephemer subtitles, that is there is
no end date associated with them, they are just replaced when another one
comes along.
Maybe if you could get us a sample of this vob, we could have a closer look.

> 2) On the DVD "Platform" from Artificial Eye the subtitles are almost
> totally transparent. The problem seems to be at line 350 in the file
> modules/codec/spudec/parse.c. Copying the lines
>
> p_spu->p_sys->pi_alpha[0] = 0x00;
>
> etc. to this point fixes the problem for me.

Ok needs investigating, but afaik vlc discards the color information of the
subtitles so this might be why.

> 3) DVD angles don't work. The "Programme" menu item remains greyed out
> and specifying an angle on the command line has no effect. (Why is it
> called "Programme" and not "Angle", by the way?)
> Tested on DVD "Amélie" from Universal Pictures Germany.

Ok, needs investigating as well. I guess nobody has tested this in a long
time.

> 4) "vlc:quit" doesn't work as I would expect. When I start vlc with the
> command line
>
> vlc dvd:@4 vlc:quit
>
> I would expect vlc to play title 4 and then exit. What happens instead
> is that it plays title 4 and then shows the DVD menu.

That is the expected behaviour. The command vlc:quit only takes effect when
the first input (dvd) is finished but DVDs with menus will never end ;).
What you want is to use the simple dvd plugin (without menus support).

vlc dvdsimple:@4 vlc:quit

> 5) The "Force SPU position" setting doesn't seem to have any effect
> here. I can't move the subtitles to the bottom of the screen.

The problem is that you can't move the subtitles outside of the picture zone
which is different from the video window area. The picture zone is the area
you get when the video is first opened (the video window is first set to
fit the picture exactly).

> Thank you very much for your attention and for your wonderful program.

And thanks for the bug reports :)

--
Gildas