[vlc-devel] OSX build problem, can someone assist?

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Sat Jul 12 16:57:46 CEST 2003

Hello, all ...

I've cleaned up my /usr and /use/local dirs, and things seem better,
but i've still a problem building VLC 0.6.0 on OSX:

depfile='src/.deps/vlc-vlc.Po' tmpdepfile='src/.deps/vlc-vlc.TPo' \
depmode=gcc /bin/sh ./autotools/depcomp \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I\./intl  -DSYS_DARWIN -I./include
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__USE_UNIX98 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
-D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_GNU_SOURCE
-DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\"
-DDATA_PATH=\"/usr/local/share/vlc\"
-DPLUGIN_PATH=\"/usr/local/lib/vlc\"  -DDEBUG   -O3 -ffast-math
-funroll-loops -mtune=750  -g   -Wsign-compare -Wall  -no-cpp-precomp
-D_INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS -finline-limit-30000 -pipe -c -o src/vlc-vlc.o
`test -f 'src/vlc.c' || echo './'`src/vlc.c
gcc  -Wsign-compare -Wall  -no-cpp-precomp -D_INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS
-finline-limit-30000 -pipe   -o vlc  src/vlc-vlc.o lib/libvlc.a
-all_load -ldl -lpthread -framework vecLib  intl/libintl.a
                                   modules/audio_output/libcoreaudio.a
            modules/codec/libtheora.a
modules/codec/libquicktime.a          modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a

modules/gui/macosx/libmacosx.a
modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpyaltivec.a
modules/stream_out/libstream_out_transcode.a
                                                          -framework
CoreAudio              -ltheora -logg        -framework QuickTime
-framework Carbon          -all_load -lm -lavcodec
                                -framework IOKit -framework Cocoa
-framework Carbon -framework QuickTime -lobjc -ObjC
  -framework vecLib                     -lm
ld: Undefined symbols:
_libiconv_close
_libiconv_open
_libiconv
make[2]: *** [vlc] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

... libiconv.a is in /usr/local/lib and nowhere else, and nm reveals
that it indeed has those symbols.  It appears as though -liconv is not
being specified on the gcc invocation.  Do I need to do something funky
in ./bootstrap or ./configure time?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou