[vlc-devel] Re: Request for advice (svg rendering)

Sigmund Augdal Sigmund.Augdal at idi.ntnu.no
Thu Jul 17 21:02:40 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 06:21:30PM +0200, Olivier Aubert wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am playing with a SVG rendering module. I plan to use librsvg2 from
> the GNOME project, which renders SVG into GdkPixbufs. It should be easy
> to integrate with the new text rendering architecture from Sigmund, once
> I have solved the following problem : the librsvg2 renders SVG to
> GdkPixbufs (RGBA buffers), and VLC has its own internal picture format.
If possible vlc uses the picture format the video is encoded in all the way
from decoder to output hardware. Sometimes the picture format has to be
converted because the video output (hardware or software) does not support
it. So ideally your module should support several different picture formats.
The current format is available in vout_thread_t::render.i_chroma and
vout_thread_t::output.i_chroma

> Is there any existing conversion library that I could reuse to convert a
> GdkPixbuf to a VLC picture ? It is not very difficult to do in a
> straightforward way, but if anybody already wrote the code to handle
> efficiently the various conversions, it would greatly help. Any advice
> will be welcome.
The code to convert between different picture formats is in different chroma
conversion modules (located in modules/video_chroma and
modules/codec/ffmoeg/chroma.c). Also the logo filter contain some code to
convert from rgb to some commonly used format.

Hope this help.

Sigmund