[vlc-devel] Re: PTS is out of range (), dropping buffer, late picture skipped

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Thu Jul 24 14:25:34 CEST 2003

gbazin at altern.org wrote:
>>Gildas, you think this is a server of vlc related problem
>>and if so should I report this to VLC-bugzilla?

I think it is a server error and not a client one.

> IMHO this is due to a badly designed server.

Agreed.

> MPEG TS packets have only 1 sync byte (to keep the overhead low) so it is highly uneasy/inefficient to synchronise on TS streams.
>
> This is why udp packets should only contain an integral number of TS packets (RFC2250 "RTP Payload Format for MPEG1/MPEG2 Video" already mandates that for instance). That way the client can easily synchronize to the stream as it knows where the beginning a TS packet is (even when packet loss happen).

I think this is a wise spec to adhere to.

> The server already handles TS packets anyway so it wouldn't require much to ensure it outputs an integral number of TS packets in a udp packet.

But the server isn't theirs. And the creator might argue everybody else
can handle it. Even when they all do it wrong!

> BTW, anybody knows if there is a spec for raw MPEG TS over udp ?

No it is an industrial standard by default ;-) Which means everybody
does it (their own way), but it is no official standard. AFAIK.

If I'm wrong the MPEG commite or IETF would have a standard on this!

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman