[vlc-devel] Re: On configuration callback paradigm

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Sun Jul 27 02:50:35 CEST 2003

Thanks for the information, elucidation, and eduation.

However I'm not sure how to make use of it in the situation I
presented: I want to have a global configuration variable set in a
configuration file and when it is updated it has an immediate dynamic
effect.

I gave very specific code which does this but had the undisireablity
of requiring a private static variable. Perhaps it would make things
crystal clear to change that code to use "object variables", keeping
the behavior the same.  Or changing the problem a bit in the direction
I think you were indicating, let's say we have a variable that is
*initially* set by a configuration variable and thereafter can be
changed through some other way.

Alternatively, instead of giving code it would be sufficient and
helpful to point to another input plugin that has a simple example of
this. (There the dvd menu selection code it looks a bit involved: a
separate thread is set up of input. Although I know I'll eventually
get there for VCD numeric selections, right now to accomplish the task
at hand or for other things similar to this, setting up a separate
thread is a bit much.)

Lastly on the topic of wxWindows, I looked at the user guide for what
I need for this. Didn't see any mention. So I got an RPM for of the
latest stable version 2.4.1 at http://www.wxwindows.org/. However this
doesn't install wx-config which seems needed. I gather then that I
have to something later? Or another package?

Thanks