[vlc-devel] Re: On configuration callback paradigm

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon Jul 28 02:03:59 CEST 2003

On Sunday 27 July 2003 02:50, R. Bernstein wrote:
> Thanks for the information, elucidation, and eduation.
>
> However I'm not sure how to make use of it in the situation I
> presented: I want to have a global configuration variable set in a
> configuration file and when it is updated it has an immediate dynamic
> effect.

I usually don't advise this.

The preferences panel (for modifying configuration variables) shouldn't in
most cases have any effect on already running objects for at least 2
reasons.

1 - Configuration variables are global variables and thus are not designed
to modify the run time behaviour of objects but to set a prefered
initialization state.

2 - The preferences panel is mainly for advanced users (I'm sure you've seen
how many options there are and how much obscure most of them are) and
should be used mainly/only for fine tuning VLC for your needs.

However I agree with you that there isn't much use in putting your debug
option as an object variable because anyway this option is supposed to be
hidden from normal users and thus shouldn't appear in one of the
application menus (so somewhere well hidden in the preferences panel is
fine ;).

> I gave very specific code which does this but had the undisireablity
> of requiring a private static variable. Perhaps it would make things
> crystal clear to change that code to use "object variables", keeping
> the behavior the same.

Don't worry, I'll just change the callback prototype for config variables as
you required. As long as this stuff is not used for options that are
supposed to be of use to end users, I don't really mind.

> Lastly on the topic of wxWindows, I looked at the user guide for what
> I need for this. Didn't see any mention. So I got an RPM for of the
> latest stable version 2.4.1 at http://www.wxwindows.org/. However this
> doesn't install wx-config which seems needed. I gather then that I
> have to something later? Or another package?

I think it's because you didn't install the wxWindows development package
that is available on the same page. 2.4.1 is fine, although it does contain
a couple of bugs (fixed in 2.5 cvs) that makes right click popup menus
unuseable in VLC.

Regards,

--
Gildas