[vlc-devel] Re: vlc 0.5.3 and WMV3

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Sun Jun 1 00:22:12 CEST 2003

On zaterdag, mei 31, 2003, at 03:35 Europe/Amsterdam, Volker Desinger
wrote:
> today I tried a wmv3 file. Sound seems to be OK but no video picture.
>
> -----
> main debug: looking for decoder module
> main debug: probing 16 candidates
> main error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
> VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
> -----
>
> Do you plan to support the WMV3 format in the future?

This is a closed format. So someone needs to crack/ reverse engineer
it. WMV2 and 1 were done by ppl from ffmpeg (which we use to decode
this), so it this will ever happen probably someone will add it to
ffmpeg and if so, then we will of course support this as well.

A timetable on this is asking for a timetable on getting a permanent
base on the moon. ;)

DJ

---
Videolan - VLC media player