[vlc-devel] Interfaces providing vout windows (was: configurable hotkeys)

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue Jun 3 19:51:24 CEST 2003

On Monday 02 June 2003 14:46, Boris Dorès wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 07:59:31PM (GMT+0200), Gildas Bazin wrote:
> > There are 2 things you don't seem to understand here:
>
>   I don't want to be rude, but did you consider it might possibly be the
> other way around ?

Sorry but I have no time for ego fights.

> > 1- Video outputs are higly platform dependant while the interfaces
> > mostly aren't. Which means that the events loop has to run in the
> > vout. The vout depends on this to correctly display the video and
> > reimplementing the events loop for all the possible vouts in all the
> > interfaces is not an option.
>
>   You cannot implement the OS related event loop in two places, right ?
> Since we _need_ one in the interface (the purpose of moving vout windows
> creation into the interfaces actually being to let interfaces control
> those windows), all we can do is set up internal events, triggered by
> interfaces and answered by vouts (for instance when window is moved or
> resized, ...)

IMHO you don't need (and don't want) the interface to run the events loop of
the window used by the vout.

Why do you usually want to provide a window to the vout ? Because you need
to embed the video window in some other interface, which usually means you
have a parent window managed by the interface and a child window (embedded
in the parent window) that can be managed by the vout.

Just have a look at our mozilla plugin or at how X11 window managers do
their job.

> > If you still don't understand this then don't worry you'll see what I
mean
> > when you'll actually start coding on it.
>
>   Hum, hum, hum... Thank you very much for such a gentle advice...

Sorry but I still have the feeling that you don't exactly understand the
issues here. Best way to prove me wrong would be to show me some code.

>   I am not sure you see what is going to be implemented.
>
>   There will be a registration process allowing interfaces to declare
> "I can create and manage vout windows" and, if they want, "I am the
> currently active interface". Combined with a default module to create
> vout windows if no other sophisticated interface is present, there is no
> need any more for vouts to create windows (unless they want to, sdl for
> instance).

Hmmm, a default module to create vout windows ? How will you do that ? Copy
and paste all the platform specific bits of code that we already have in
each vout ? Sorry but I fail to see the point here. As I already said, a
vout is supposed to be platform specific whereas an interface will most
likely not be.

--
Gildas