[vlc-devel] Re: At last, the problem! Now, what to do?

gbazin at altern.org gbazin at altern.org
Wed Jun 4 17:20:14 CEST 2003

>but what about when the seeks happen often?
>then it seems to me that this could be a problem, i.e.
>we're resetting the clock all of the time, and never
>letting the clock expire naturally, so we in essence have
>no clock anymore.

I don't think it should be a problem.
The clock should be restored properly the first time you
call input_ManageClockRef() after a seek so the next sample
you will be playing should be properly time-stamped (unless
the demux is buggy and doesn't call input_ManageClockRef()
when it should).

If you do lots of seeks without actually feeding anything
to the decoder's fifo then you don't need the clock anyway.
And next time you need it will be restored from the PCR
info contained in the stream so it should get the right
value independantly of how many seeks you did.

Actually, the problem you are seeing might also just be a bad PCR computation in the mpeg audio demuxer.

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas