[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] re : Re: Surround sound?

Paul Forgey paulf at aphrodite.com
Wed Jun 4 17:53:36 CEST 2003

Maybe a dematrixer would be a fun audio filter to use.  AFAIK, Dolby's
EX encoding isn't done discretely, but de-matrixes the back channel
from SL and SR.  Similar with DTS, should it be implemented (I saw a
parser for it in there, but no decoder).  While DTS-ES uses discrete
channels unlike DD-EX, SL and SR are still matrixed for the benefit of
situations just like this one.

At least this was as things were a few years ago, and I haven't really
kept on top of things too much since then, so I could be wrong by now.

This same filter could then be used, with the proper options to tell it
to behave differently, to do other fun things like Pro Logic decoding.
For example, in this mode, it would take two channels rather than 6 and
output 4 using a 90 degree phase shift.  (SL and SR are dematrixed
using a 45 degree phase shift).  Of course, to do proper Pro Logic
decoding and call it that (ignoring the code definitely would NOT be
licensed from Dolby! :) the process also needs some bandpass filters.

I can see from looking at the code and documentation the audio stream
is extremely well thought out, including management of all the channels
beyond stereo.