[vlc-devel] Re: More clocking observations ...

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Thu Jun 5 06:43:08 CEST 2003

Gildas,

> You will find the real problem in modules/demux/mpeg/audio.c. Looking
> at the
> way the mpeg audio demuxer emulates PCRs, you don't need to reset the
> clock
> after a seek().
> Just try to put: p_pgrm->i_synchro_state = SYNCHRO_OK; just before the
> call
> to input_ClockManageRef(). That should take care of the problem.

This helps quite a lot -- the wobble is far less pronounced than it was
before.  It still appears, though, from time to time.  I've been
wondering -- perhaps the extra time it takes to seek backwards in the
file is something that should be compensated for when figuring how long
to mwait() before reading again?  In other words, perhaps
input_ClockManageRef() should be aware that we've seeked _and_ read,
rather than just read, so it could make adjustments?

I say this because the issues I still hear are predominantly times
where ff / rewind is active, and the audio gets a bit slower for a bit,
then recovers, then gets slower again, etc.  I still think that seeking
and input_ClockManageRef() should be connected somehow.  If I could
measure the time it took to seek and read as a mtime_t, and somehow
make input_ClockManageRef() aware of it, it could decrease the mwait()
time by that amount.

Thoughts?

Regards,

John, who really wants to see VLC become the kick-ass cross-platform
media player that it has the potential to be, and who wants to help
bring it there

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou