[vlc-devel] VLC 0.5.3 experiment ... leads to segfault

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Fri Jun 20 22:40:31 CEST 2003

Hello, all ...

I'm chasing a segfault with VLC 0.5.3 having to do with video playback.
  I can get this to happen reliably on a RedHat 9 box by doing the
following, and i'd like to know if anyone else can verify:

1. build vlc-0.5.3
2. cp vlc vlc_server
3. in a new xterm, run vlc like so: ./vlc --noaudio udp/ts:@239.0.0.20
4. in another new xterm, run the following shell script:

#! /bin/bash

while true
do
     ./vlc_server --sout udp/ts://239.0.0.20 ~/VTS_01_2.VOB&
     sleep 30
     killall vlc_server
     sleep 30
done

... VTS_01_2.VOB is just some VOB I ripped, you should be able to use
your own.  Basically, after running this shell script for awhile (a few
minutes for me), the client vlc (the one started in step 3) segfaults,
and gdb is thoroughly confused (no registers, no threads, no backtrace)
which makes me think the stack is trashed.  If I run the client vlc
with --novideo as well as --noaudio, the segfault doesn't happen.  If I
run the client with --vout dummy and --noaudio, the segfault _does_
happen, and if I comment out a large portion of RunThread() in
vlc_root/src/video_output/video_output.c, the segfault does not happen
(I will gladly send this file with the code commented out if anyone is
interested).

I've managed to narrow it down to something with p_vout in
video_output.c, but haven't gotten deeper than that yet.  Can someone
else verify that vlc indeed crashes like this?  I can get a very
similar crash to happen on Mac OSX 10.2.6, but i'm hesitant to say
they're very related because the OSX video output is likely much
different than the RH9 video output.

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou