[vlc-devel] Re: VLC 0.5.3 experiment ... leads to segfault

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sat Jun 21 11:33:00 CEST 2003

On Friday 20 June 2003 22:40, John Michael Zorko wrote:

> Hello, all ...
>
> I'm chasing a segfault with VLC 0.5.3 having to do with video playback.
>   I can get this to happen reliably on a RedHat 9 box by doing the
> following, and i'd like to know if anyone else can verify:

Hi,

I manage to reproduce the problem on the 0.5.3 debian version. I cannot
debug this as this is a release version without debugging symbols...

However I did the same test with the cvs version and couldn't make it crash.
I even run vlc under valgrind (on a small mpeg1 file as it is the only
thing valgrind can decode properly on my machine) to track any kind of
problem and it has been running happily for 1/2 hour.

So 0.6.0 seems to be exempt from this bug. You should remember as well that
we switched to the libmpeg2 mpeg video decoder in 0.6.0 whereas 0.5.3 still
has our old home built mpeg video decoder. That could explain why 0.5.3
crashes and not 0.6.0.

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas