[vlc-devel] Re: Missing features in VLC 0.5.1

Stepan Roh stepan at srnet.cz
Sun Mar 2 17:37:42 CET 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Sigmund Augdal wrote:

> > - ability to easily see actual running plugins (interfaces, video inputs,
> > audio inputs etc.)
> I'm not sure how useful this whould be, this is the kind of info you'll find
> in the messages window.

Sure, but it is deeply burried there and for example finding used decoder
plugin inside such lot of messages like I usually get is very hard.

> > - playlist item (and currently played item) information like file type,
> > length and other properties (bitrate, number of channels etc.) + ID3 and
> > similar information
> The core work is done, but the gtk interface is not updated to display this
> info.

I would also like to see some information regarding current input status
(buffer fill, network lag etc.)

> > - volume slider
> > - DVD navigation buttons to be able to navigate without mouse
> The core work for these are also done, just need to update all the
> interfaces and video outputs. (there are a volume slider in the preferences
> dialog in the gtk interface).

Yes, you're right, slider is there. But there are two problems with it: it
is not live (calling Volume up/down from menu does not affect it unless
dialog is reopened) and value is a bit strange. I assume that 256 means
unchanged volume, but in that case 1.0 or 100% would be better.

Also there is one more problem with gtk interface (similar to volume
update problem): playlist does not reflect redirects.

Have a nice day.

Stepan Roh