[vlc-devel] Re: Missing features in VLC 0.5.1

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Sun Mar 2 15:48:59 CET 2003

Lots of good points!

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 03:30:03PM +0100, Stepan Roh wrote:
> I've just upgraded to 0.5.1 and I must say it is impressive! Great work.
> However I miss some features:
>
> - playlist load/save in other interfaces than win32
> - ability to pause messages in Messages window in gtk interface or to be
> able to scroll without autoscrolling back to the new messages (same
> behaviour as in Konsole in KDE 3.1)
I agree on these

> - ability to easily see actual running plugins (interfaces, video inputs,
> audio inputs etc.)
I'm not sure how useful this whould be, this is the kind of info you'll find
in the messages window.

> - if playlist item is swapped for another (HTTP -> MMS redirect is good
> example) do not start playing next item in playlist, but swapped item
> (tested with gtk interface)
This is a perfectly valid point and should deffinitly be investigated. There
is some work going on on the internal playlist api in vlc, and I doubt this
will be fixed before the new api is done.
> - in interface settings add button "Select as Extra" to be able to
> add extra interface without need to type its name (tested with gtk
> interface)
Another good idea. Another solution may be to have plugins that can be
enabled/disabled.

> - playlist item (and currently played item) information like file type,
> length and other properties (bitrate, number of channels etc.) + ID3 and
> similar information
The core work is done, but the gtk interface is not updated to display this
info.
> - volume slider
> - DVD navigation buttons to be able to navigate without mouse
The core work for these are also done, just need to update all the
interfaces and video outputs. (there are a volume slider in the preferences
dialog in the gtk interface).

Thanks for the feed back!

Sigmund