[vlc-devel] Re: pkg-config dependancy

Loïc Minier lool at via.ecp.fr
Wed Mar 19 16:00:48 CET 2003

Derk-Jan Hartman <d.hartman at student.utwente.nl> - Wed, Mar 19, 2003:

> `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GTK2,'
> If i understand it correctly, this means that at the moment, all
> platforms (osx, win32 o.a.) are dependent on pkg-config for the
> ./configure step.

   I think this is an automake problem, which we could probably avoid
 with something like that (found on the web):
    if `grep PKG_CHECK_MODULES aclocal.m4 > /dev/null 2>&1`; then
      :
    else
      echo "pkg-config doesn't seem to be installed. The configure script "
      echo "won't have a working GLib detection."
      cat >> aclocal.m4 <<EOF
    AC_DEFUN(PKG_CHECK_MODULES, [\$4])
    EOF

   However, I can not reproduce this because my aclocal.m4 checks for
 pkg-config:
      if test -z "$PKG_CONFIG"; then
        AC_PATH_PROG(PKG_CONFIG, pkg-config, no)
      fi

      if test "$PKG_CONFIG" = "no" ; then
         echo "*** The pkg-config script could not be found. Make sure it is"
         echo "*** in your path, or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable"
         echo "*** to the full path to pkg-config."
      else
         PKG_CONFIG_MIN_VERSION=0.9.0
         if $PKG_CONFIG --atleast-pkgconfig-version $PKG_CONFIG_MIN_VERSION; then

   Could this be your automake version? I have GNU automake 1.7.3.

   I wonder why the --disable-gtk2 and disable-gnome2 flags don't work
 on your box, the checks seem to be ok:
    AC_ARG_ENABLE(gnome2,
      [  --enable-gnome2         Gnome2 support (default disabled)])
    if test "x${enable_gnome2}" = "xyes"
    then
    (same for gtk2)

--