[vlc-devel] Re: pkg-config dependancy

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Mar 19 16:59:31 CET 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 Loïc Minier Wrote:

>   I think this is an automake problem, which we could probably avoid
> with something like that (found on the web):
>    if `grep PKG_CHECK_MODULES aclocal.m4 > /dev/null 2>&1`; then
>      :
>    else
>      echo "pkg-config doesn't seem to be installed. The configure script "
>      echo "won't have a working GLib detection."
>      cat >> aclocal.m4 <<EOF
>    AC_DEFUN(PKG_CHECK_MODULES, [\$4])
>    EOF

>   Could this be your automake version? I have GNU automake 1.7.3.
>
>   I wonder why the --disable-gtk2 and disable-gnome2 flags don't work
> on your box, the checks seem to be ok:
>    AC_ARG_ENABLE(gnome2,
>      [  --enable-gnome2         Gnome2 support (default disabled)])
>    if test "x${enable_gnome2}" = "xyes"
>    then
>    (same for gtk2)

This is not an automake problem. The problem is simply that PKG_CHECK_MODULES is defined in pkg.m4 which is included with the pkg-config package. So if this package isn't installed, autoconf won't be able to replace PKG_CHECK_MODULES with its proper definition.

Using --disable-gtk2 --disable-gnome2 won't help because the problem happens during the autoconf step.

--
Gildas