[vlc-devel] Building VLC on Mac OSX .... grrr

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Fri May 2 06:18:54 CEST 2003

Hello, all ...

Why is VLC so intransigent on Mac OSX?  I'm following the instructions
for building VLC on this platform, and i've managed to build it before,
but i'm trying again and I either get the Mach-O error:

ld: lib/libvlc.a(lib_libvlc_a-video_text.o) bad magic number (not a
Mach-O file)
make[2]: *** [vlc] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

... or the "not a multiple of sizeof(unsigned long)" error:

ranlib lib/libvlc.a
ranlib: archive member: lib/libvlc.a(lib_libvlc_a-vout_subpictures.o)
offset in archive not a multiple of sizeof(unsigned long) (must be
since member is an object file)
make[2]: *** [lib/libvlc.a] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Like I said, i've managed to get this building before, and I change,
compile and build VLC on Linux at work all of the time.  What am I
doing wrong on Mac OSX (10.2.5, December2002 devtools)?

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou