[vlc-devel] Re: Building VLC on Mac OSX .... grrr

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Fri May 2 13:44:51 CEST 2003

http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/osx-compile.html
i use this procedure everyday, and it works. np.

the /usr/local and limit stacksize points are the two which go wrong
most often.

DJ

On vrijdag, mei 2, 2003, at 06:18 Europe/Amsterdam, John Michael Zorko
wrote:
> Why is VLC so intransigent on Mac OSX?  I'm following the instructions
> for building VLC on this platform, and i've managed to build it
> before, but i'm trying again and I either get the Mach-O error:
>
> ld: lib/libvlc.a(lib_libvlc_a-video_text.o) bad magic number (not a
> Mach-O file)
> make[2]: *** [vlc] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> ... or the "not a multiple of sizeof(unsigned long)" error:
>
> ranlib lib/libvlc.a
> ranlib: archive member: lib/libvlc.a(lib_libvlc_a-vout_subpictures.o)
> offset in archive not a multiple of sizeof(unsigned long) (must be
> since member is an object file)
> make[2]: *** [lib/libvlc.a] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Like I said, i've managed to get this building before, and I change,
> compile and build VLC on Linux at work all of the time.  What am I
> doing wrong on Mac OSX (10.2.5, December2002 devtools)?
---
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan Hartman (thedj at users.sourceforge.net)
Co-Developer of the MacOS X port of vlc