[vlc-devel] Re: Divx streaming

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Sat May 10 06:34:07 CEST 2003

Shakthi,

> I've installled vlc 0.5.3 linux version where I'm able
> to stream Divx files from one vlc to another vlc.Also
> when I read the news file which comes along with the
> 0.5.3 package it says
> * support for streaming DivX 1/2/3, wmv1/2, h/i263
> over MPEG-2 TS "
> what does it mean ? does it means VLC converts Divx
> into mpeg2 TS before streaming ? or just putting divx
> packets into RTP.
> If anyone could help me, I wud be grateful to them

Everything i've streamed with VLC that I can recall has been a TS, but
i'm mostly in MPEG2 VOB land, anyway these days.  The RTPChoose()
function in VLC_ROOT/modules/access/udp.c seems to indicate that VLC
either streams TS (over RTP / UDP) or non-TS MPEG audio or video.  So,
I guess MP3 wouldn't be streamed as a transport stream, though I
thought it did ...

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou