[vlc-devel] Re: Divx streaming

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sat May 10 11:26:16 CEST 2003

On Saturday 10 May 2003 06:34, John Michael Zorko wrote:

> Everything i've streamed with VLC that I can recall has been a TS, but
> i'm mostly in MPEG2 VOB land, anyway these days.  The RTPChoose()
> function in VLC_ROOT/modules/access/udp.c seems to indicate that VLC
> either streams TS (over RTP / UDP) or non-TS MPEG audio or video.  So,
> I guess MP3 wouldn't be streamed as a transport stream, though I
> thought it did ...

VLC can only stream MPEG Transport Streams when using UDP/RTP. MP3 audio
will thus be encapsulated into an MPEG TS if you stream it over UDP/RTP.

However VLC also supports streaming over HTTP. In this case you can stream
in almost whatever format you want (the development version of vlc
currently support MPEG TS/PS, Ogg, AVI and MP4/MOV when you use HTTP). Some
containers may have a few restrictions though... like the kind of codecs
they can contain.

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas