[vlc-devel] Re: vlc and gprof

Sungkwan Heo sgheo at naver.com
Fri May 16 14:35:22 CEST 2003

> On Tue, May 13, 2003, Sungkwan Heo wrote:
>
> > When vlc was finished normally, I expected a gprof result file,
> > gmon.out but there wasn't. Is there anything I missed?
>
> There was a bug in the Makefile. The current CVS version is fixed.
>
> May I suggest using oprofile instead of gprof? It has far better
> granularity than gprof, and does not require to recompile the app.

Thanks...

Makefile.am in the current CVS version was changed,
BUT gmon.out file is not created yet.

And there is still a bug in __vlc_thread_create() of src/misc/threads.c

int __vlc_thread_create( vlc_object_t *p_this, char * psz_file, int i_line,
                         char *psz_name, void * ( *func ) ( void * ),
                         int i_priority, vlc_bool_t b_wait )
{
    int i_ret;
    void *p_data;

    vlc_mutex_lock( &p_this->object_lock );

#ifdef GPROF
    wrapper_t wrapper;

    /* Initialize the wrapper structure */
    wrapper.func = func;
    wrapper.p_data = (void *)p_this;

If GRPOF is definded, a variable, wrapper is declared after a function call statement. So this makes errors in compile time. The variable declaration have to be moved before the call.

I moved it and the compilation was finished successfully but the gmon.out file wasn't generated yet. I tried both of vlc-0.6.0-cvs and vlc-0.5.3 with chaged Makefile.am.

Best Regards,

Sungkwan Heo