[vlc-devel] Re: Localizing into Korean

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Fri May 23 13:19:20 CEST 2003

On vrijdag, mei 23, 2003, at 05:02 Europe/Amsterdam, jimih at mac.com
wrote:
> I am a big fan of your great software, VLC, since it released.
> However, when I want to watch movies with subtitle in Korean, I should
> use MPlayer. But I really want to use VLC as long as it supports
> Korean subtitle without problem.

With our current implementation of subtitles this is unfortunately not
possible. We are however working on a new solution that should work for
you. This still requires some more developing, so you will have to be
patient with us and use MPlayer until then.

> In addition, I would like to localize VLC into Korean menu with
> Interface builder if possible. In fact, I tried it with no success
> although I translated corresponding files with interface builder.

That is because we don't use Apple's form of localizing. We use a
methed called gettext, something which can be used on almost all of our
supported platforms (Win32, linux AND Mac OS X).

> Would it be possible to receive your advice how to do?
> I really prefer VLC to MPlayer. All I want to do is making VLC Korean
> localized and watching subtitles with Korean as well.

(http://developers.videolan.org/lists.html) and then when we put out
the call for the localization of the new 0.6.0 version, you will
receive an email with instructions. It really isn't that hard.

DJ
----
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan Hartman (d.hartman at student.utwente.nl)