[vlc-devel] Re: Possible Bug

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Fri May 23 18:52:54 CEST 2003

On Thursday 22 May 2003 20:48, Peter Stanfield wrote:
> dvd: dvdcss cannot open device
> main: no suitable access module for `/://dvdold:///dev/rdisk1@1,1'
>
> I' m not sure if this is a bug but I am getting this error message above
> when I try to play a region 2 DVD on my Powerbook G4 1Ghz superdrive
> running on OSX 10.2.6. My apple DVD Player is set to region 1 and I'm
> under the impression that VLC should play any DVD regardless of the region
> code set on the DVD computer player.

It will in most cases.

Try to change the dvdcss method of the dvdplay/dvdold plugin in the
preferences panel to "title" (or alternatively run "DVDCSS_METHOD=title
./vlc dvdold:///dev/rdisk1@1,1" from the command line).

If this still doesn't work than you're out of luck. That means you've got
one of the few drives that have a tighter restriction on region checking.

--
Gildas