[vlc-devel] Re: configurable hotkeys

Boris Dorès babal at via.ecp.fr
Wed May 28 11:20:38 CEST 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 11:12:33PM (GMT+0200), Gildas Bazin wrote:
> I proposed the playlist here because it is _the_ object that manages all the
> inputs in vlc and it is unique as well.

  I am not so sure (I am not sure of the contrary either, all right) it
will remain unique with Input IV (BTW, are there some drafts available
or is it still only a plan ?)

  Anyway, the whole discussion may come from a misunderstanding, but I
thought that this new feature should allow us to control more things
than just the inputs. And what I can't understand is why the playlist
should send commands to interfaces (or vouts that's the same) to set
full screen, or to change the audio parameters.

> Interfaces aren't unique, you can
> have 10's of them running at the same time

  Yes, exactly: so why hot keys should do the same thing in the
wxWindows interface and in the GTK one (I'm talking on the same
plateform of course), or why when we set full screen in the skin
interface, it should also set full screen in another one ?

> >   As for the video output problem, which is the only other source of key
> > events for the time being, it should be solved by the integration of vout
> > windows in the interfaces. I know, it has been weeks that I told I would
> > code it : it will be done by the end of the week, I promise :)
> >

> No it won't be solved by this. You have to keep in mind that this feature
> (interfaces providing the window) must be optional.

  You are absolutely right, but nevertheless it should be the default
behaviour (providing we supply a default module capable of creating
independant vout windows of course). If some vouts (sdl for instance)
don't comply with that scheme, that's fine, but they will have to manage
keys too.

> There isn't any sense in implementing a cross-platform routine to create
> windows and manage events in the dummy, rc, lirc, http, etc... interfaces.

  The routine cannot be cross-plateform. Only the service can be.

  I never said these non GUI interfaces should process these kinds of
events. On the contrary, that's justifying a per interface management
basis.

  But I hope there might be a compromise. Any ideas ?

--
babal