[vlc-devel] Re: configurable hotkeys

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue May 27 23:12:33 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 21:43, Boris Dorès wrote:

>   I am not too sure about that. I can't see why the _playlist_
> should process keys. In my opinion, playlists should remain a set of
> core functions, totally platform independant, and only be called by
> interfaces (the real bosses :) to manage ... playlists. They shouldn't
> become a placeholder for miscellaneous functions.

I proposed the playlist here because it is _the_ object that manages all the
inputs in vlc and it is unique as well. Interfaces aren't unique, you can
have 10's of them running at the same time so IMHO it will be easier and
cleaner to manage the global events in the playlist.

>   I think that key processing is definitely an interface task,
> especially since each platform has its own standards as DJ already
> noticed. I guess we should in fact simply provide a way for the user
> to override platform's default hotkeys, and that this overriding system
> could be platform independant and specified in the preferences (maybe we
> could even provide a way to specifie a whole set of keys, for instance
> to emulate another player).

I was talking of a global events loop being placed in the playlist but
nothing forbids you to have local ones, like in the vouts or the intfs.
They will manage the events they receive and are interested in and will
forward the rest to the playlist.

>   As for the video output problem, which is the only other source of key
> events for the time being, it should be solved by the integration of vout
> windows in the interfaces. I know, it has been weeks that I told I would
> code it : it will be done by the end of the week, I promise :)

No it won't be solved by this. You have to keep in mind that this feature
(interfaces providing the window) must be optional.

There isn't any sense in implementing a cross-platform routine to create
windows and manage events in the dummy, rc, lirc, http, etc... interfaces.

So we'll still need to do the event handling in the vouts.

--
Gildas