[vlc-devel] Re: New Decoder API

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue Nov 25 00:38:57 CET 2003

On Saturday 22 November 2003 20:05, Stephan Assmus wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> I just wanted to know if it was possible for an interface plugin with
> the new API, to tell a decoder to skip to a certain video frame
> (number), with the option to skip to the closest keyframe backwards or
> forward instead of the exact requested frame.

No it isn't possible.

It's not really the job of the decoder to do that and actually VLC should
implement this feature in the future but at the demuxer level.
Most containers do implement ways of seeking to a specific frame so when
supported, a demuxer will be able to export this feature.

Alternatively it could also be possible to use the elementary streams
packetizers to skip frames but that would add a parsing overhead to the
decoding step.

--
Gildas