[vlc-devel] Re: New Decoder API

Stephan Assmus stippi at yellowbites.com
Tue Nov 25 09:16:49 CET 2003

Gildas Bazin wrote on Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:38:57 +0100:

> On Saturday 22 November 2003 20:05, Stephan Assmus wrote:
> > Hi gang,
> >
> > I just wanted to know if it was possible for an interface plugin
> > with
> > the new API, to tell a decoder to skip to a certain video frame
> > (number), with the option to skip to the closest keyframe backwards
> > or
> > forward instead of the exact requested frame.
> >

> No it isn't possible.
>
> It's not really the job of the decoder to do that and actually VLC
> should
> implement this feature in the future but at the demuxer level.
> Most containers do implement ways of seeking to a specific frame so
> when
> supported, a demuxer will be able to export this feature.
>
> Alternatively it could also be possible to use the elementary streams
> packetizers to skip frames but that would add a parsing overhead to
> the
> decoding step.

So what happens when the user drags the position slider in whatever
interface he is using (concerning the difference between old and new
API)? As a programmer, telling VLC to skip to a key frame closest to a
certain frame (as calculated by the slider) would be exactly the most
desirable.

Best regards,
-Stephan