[vlc-devel] Re: How to set playlist item name and author?

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Tue Nov 25 05:43:55 CET 2003

Gildas Bazin writes:
 > Apparently there is no clean way of modifying a playlist item once it has
 > been added with playlist_Add*().

Sigh. The code vlc has it is for the most part cleaner than other
media players. But, alas, often there isn't much. (I'm feeling
depressed at having just added ugly cut-and-paste code for keyboard
input to the CD-DA plugin and not having even started dealing how to
deal with changing in and out of still frames with different aspect
ratios in the VCD plugin).

>  Were you thinking about cddb support ?

It would be pretty easy to do if there were an interface for doing
it. If you add an interface for modifying a playlist item, I'll add
cddb support to the CDDX plugin. It doesn't seem that hard to add an
interface for modifying the current playlist item if you want me to do
so.

But VCD's also have titles, the author of the VCD (although it's
usually the program that created the VCD), and meta-information. So
again it changing/adding the current playlist name/author would be
used here.

But... truth be told, I'm not even clear as to how the contents of a
CD-DA or VCD should be presented. If one specifies say vcd:// or
cdda:// you see only *one* playlist item. The thing that is currently
getting played (the name of a CD track or and Entry/LID/Segment of a
VCD) is not shown.

I have a feeling that for a CD-DA the proper thing to do when given a
"play-it-all" MRL like cdda:// would be to delete the entry that's
there and then add all of the individual tracks with proper
information. Not sure though.