[vlc-devel] Re: How to set playlist item name and author?

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Tue Nov 25 16:15:35 CET 2003

Sounds like what I wrote here:
 > > I have a feeling that for a CD-DA the proper thing to do when given a
 > > "play-it-all" MRL like cdda:// would be to delete the entry that's
 > > there and then add all of the individual tracks with proper
 > > information. Not sure though.

Okay, I think this is what to do in the short-term. But depending on
you weigh things, I don't think it handles "most" - perhaps the most
egregious for now. It neither deals with the fact that when you
specify playback control in a VCD (or a DVD for that matter) you don't
see information about what is currently playing.  Probably that
information doesn't go here in the playback entry, but there's no
alternative place that can be set. And playback lists don't address
presenting what's available on a VCD. The Disc tab of Open Stream
probably should allow for showing the LIDs, Segments, Sequences
(tracks), whether they are "hidden" or not, and the MRLs for these.

 > In the cddax Open() function first do cddb stuff, then add a new playlist
 > item for each track with the newly gathered info. This way ACTIONID_PREV and
 > ACTIONID_NEXT will work as well, and you can remove all the hotkey handling
 > code from the cddax plugin.

The hotkey handling for CD-DA was so that if you had a visualization
plugin, in that window you select a track number by just giving the
number, or enter "skip 3 tracks" forward. This is independent of
handling hot keys inside the play list.

 > On a longer run we should fix so that hotkeys.c handles chapters and titles
 > properly in ACTIONID_PREV and ACTIONID_NEXT. As well as adding wrapper
 > functions to change elements of the playlist.

Would be good. Much to do, but few working on.