[vlc-devel] Re: VLC does not give useful info to BFU

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sat Oct 4 09:14:47 CEST 2003

On zaterdag, okt 4, 2003, at 01:40 Europe/Amsterdam, Stepan Roh wrote:
> VLC is not too much BFU-friendly. It gives a lot of highly technical
> information if verbose level is high (like "received buffer in the
> future", "PTS is out of range", "packet in the past" etc.), but no
> information suitable for normal user. Sometimes nothing happens and I
> don't know what's going on: is it stuck or is it buffering network
> input
> (and in that case: how much filled is the buffer)? It should also give
> some info like expected and current transfer rate, line stability
> (packet
> loss) and so on.

What does BFU stand for?
You are correct on your comments. especially the buffering info etc
should improve. We should provide some sort of feedback model, so
interfaces/output can make clear that something like this is happening.

It's possible, someone just needs to do it.
However things like expected and current transfer rate should only be
reported upon request and not continously of course. Such things could
slow us down.

> Of course VLC is better and better soft anyway. Oh, I nearly forgot,
> Gtk+
> interface (in 0.6.2) lacks ability to show information window if no
> video
> but audio is playing (or I did not find it). KDE interface has
> "View/Stream Info" menu item, but in the Gtk+ it is available only in
> pop-up menu in video output window.

The GTK/Gnome QT/KDE interfaces are all no longer being maintained. Our
interface of choice is now the wxwindows one, which is also used for
the Win32 version for instance. It allows us to focus our interface
development to one single interface as much as possible, creating time
to work on important things instead of being busy updating all the
interfaces for every little detail that changes.

DJ

---
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan Hartman (thedj at users.sourceforge.net)