[vlc-devel] Cross-compilation problems Linux -> Win32

Raymond Lillard ryl at prosysmeg.com
Fri Oct 17 07:55:21 CEST 2003

Greetings,

I have used anonymous CVS to download the latest & greatest
version of VLC.  I am using RedHat-9 as my build system.

I have read what documentation I can find on how to do this.
The files "doc/Cross-Compile-Howto.txt" and "INSTALL.win32"
appear to be outdated.  If there is other relevant documentation
I would very much appreciate knowing where it is.

My immediate problem is building "ffmpeg".  I find the code in
"./modules/codec/ffmpeg", but there is no "configure" file to
run to create a "Makefile".

I have tried the "bootstrap" && "configure" commands at the top
of the tree, but when it arrives at the point to configure "ffmpeg"
the configure script looks for the library file,
        "modules/codec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.a"

This presents me with two problems.

1. I need a "configure" to compile "ffmpeg"

2. There is no "libavocdec" in "ffmpeg" to make a "libavcodec.a"

I'm clearly missing something here.  Help is gratefully solicited.
You guys work with me here and I'll return a more useful
"doc/Cross-Compile-Howto.txt" if it is wanted.

Thanks,
Ray