[vlc-devel] Re: Cross-compilation problems Linux -> Win32

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Fri Oct 17 20:56:49 CEST 2003

On Friday 17 October 2003 07:43, Raymond Lillard wrote:
> Greeting,
>
> I have used anonymous CVS to download the latest & greatest
> version of VLC.  I am using RedHat-9 as my build system.
>
> I have read what documentation I can find on how to do this.
> The files "doc/Cross-Compile-Howto.txt" and "INSTALL.win32"
> appear to be outdated.  If there is other relevant documentation
> I would very much appreciate knowing where it is.

Actually the file INSTALL.win32 is up to date but doesn't describe how to
get/install a gcc cross-compiler unless you are running debian (doc/
Cross-Compile-Howto.txt is indeed really outdated).

> My immediate problem is building "ffmpeg".  I find the code in
> "./modules/codec/ffmpeg", but there is no "configure" file to
> run to create a "Makefile".
>
> I have tried the "bootstrap" && "configure" commands at the top
> of the tree, but when it arrives at the point to configure "ffmpeg"
> the configure script looks for the library file,
> 	"modules/codec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.a"
>
> This presents me with two problems.
>
> 1. I need a "configure" to compile "ffmpeg"
>
> 2. There is no "libavocdec" in "ffmpeg" to make a "libavcodec.a"

No need to compile ffmpeg yourself as I provide already compiled versions of
all the 3rd party libraries we use (unless you need a more recent ffmpeg).

> I'm clearly missing something here.  Help is gratefully solicited.
> You guys work with me here and I'll return a more useful
> "doc/Cross-Compile-Howto.txt" if it is wanted.

I recently compiled a mingw gcc 3.3.1 cross-compiler so you should be able
to use this: "http://www.videolan.org/pub/testing/win32/
mingw-gcc3.3.1-linux-crosscompiler.tar.bz2"
You'll need to run a glibc >= 2.3.2 though.

Just extract the archive in your root directory (will put everything in /
usr/local/mingw) then download and extract the 3rd party libraries package:
"http://www.videolan.org/pub/testing/win32/
contrib-20030824-win32-bin-gcc3.3.1-only.tar.bz2"

Once this is done, you can compile VLC with the following commands:

./bootstrap

PATH=/usr/local/mingw/bin:$PATH \
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include -I/usr/win32/include/ebml" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/
win32/lib" \
CC=i586-mingw32msvc-gcc \
   ./configure --host=i586-mingw32msvc \
    --build=i386-linux \
    --disable-sdl --disable-gtk \
    --enable-nls \
    --enable-mad \
    --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame \
    --enable-dvdread --enable-dvdplay \
    --enable-faad \
    --enable-flac \
    --enable-theora \
    --with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
    --with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
    --enable-mostly-builtin \
    --enable-quicktime

PATH=/usr/local/mingw/bin:$PATH make

Hope you'll find this helpful,