[vlc-devel] Re: vlc and rtp

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Wed Oct 22 11:45:55 CEST 2003

First let me say that I'm no guru on mpeg or rtp.

> Can anyone tell
> me what VLC is doing here?  I'm not using transcoding.  I used the
> following command line:
>
> vlc video.mpg --sout udp://client

You do not specify muxer module here, vlc will not transcode, but it will
demux the mpeg Ps file, and remux it with the default muxer, which is mpeg 2
TS. This will most likely change the byte pattern in front of the stream.

> It seems like I've made a mistake, somehow.  If anyone can help clarify
> what's going on, I'd really appreciate it.
to stream your mpeg 2 ps file over rtp with vlc try

vlc file.mpeg --sout rtp/ps://client

Sigmund